- Child pornography is far more than innocent photos of children which are easily accessible online, but graphic crime scene photos and movies of young children being raped, tortured and sexually abused. These gruesome photos are being traded over the Internet. The demand for child pornography can only be met one way: through the sexual display and rape of more children.
- Forensic computer specialists are trained to review computer hard drives, cell phones and other electronic media for child pornography. The Spokane Police Dept. and Spokane County Sheriff’s Office have these specialists.
- The most common characteristic of pedophiles and child molesters is their use of hard-core and child pornography. Those who use child pornography use it for sexual arousal—and there is a strong link between child porn and child molestation.
- A high percentage of those convicted on child porn charges also admit to having sexual contact with children.
- Sending sexually-explicit photos over the Internet.
4% of American youths online have been asked to send a sexually
explicit photo of themselves over the Internet. Explain to youth the criminal implications
of this type of thing, and the importance of reporting it to the
authorities. Explain that these images are quickly circulated through
the Internet. Both youth and adults engaged in this activity are
potentially violating child-pornography laws. (Kimberly J. Mitchell,
research professor, University of New Hampshire’s Crimes Against
Children Research Center, published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, July 2007)
- If you suspect online child pornography, contact http://cybertipline.com
or (800) 843-5678. Do not copy, download or forward the material to
anyone, or you could be charged with a felony. Write down the Web
address, or note where you saw it. If you discover the material on a
computer or receive the contraband via e-mail, cease activity
immediately. (Source: FBI, National Center for Missing & Exploited
- Using existing technology, law enforcement can now observe and locate hundreds of thousands of criminals
in the U.S. who are trafficking in images and movies of child rape and
torture. Experience shows that 30-50% of these criminals have sexually
assaulted children. To learn more about what you can do, visit http://NotOneMoreChild.org.
- Offer to help law enforcement with proactive stings for child porn. Help put these pornographers and child molesters out of circulation and into prison.