Hospitals and Medical Centers
800 W. 5th AvenueEastern State Hospital
Spokane, WA 99204
No. of Doctors / Nurses on Staff: 908 / 535
Medical Lake, WA 99022
No. of Doctors / Nurses on Staff: 18 / 145This is one of two state-owned psychiatric hospitals for adults in Washington. The hospital provides evaluation and inpatient treatment for individuals with serious or long-term mental illness that have been referred to the hospital through the Regional Support Network (RSN) system or through the criminal justice system. This 287-bed facility serves 21 Eastern Washington counties.
Mann-Grandstaff VA Medical Center
Providence Holy Family Hospital
(formerly Spokane Veterans Affairs Medical Center) 4815 N. Assembly Street Spokane, WA
(outside Spokane) (800) 325-7940http://www.spokane.va.gov
No. of Doctors / Nurses on Staff: 59 / 219
Volunteer Services DepartmentProvidence Sacred Heart Medical Center & Children's Hospital
5633 North Lidgerwood St.
Spokane, WA 99208
No. of Doctors / Nurses on Staff: 1,050 / 390 (Doctors operating at both Sacred Heart and Holy Family. This number includes oral surgeons, dentists, and podiatrists.)
Volunteer Services DepartmentShriners Hospital for Children - Spokane
101 W. 8th Avenue
Spokane, WA 99220
(509) 474-3166 - Volunteer Services
No. of Doctors / Nurses on Staff: 1,050 / 1,578 (Doctors operating at both Sacred Heart and Holy Family. This number includes oral surgeons, dentists, and podiatrists.)
911 W. Fifth AvenueSt. Lukeís Rehabilitation Institute
Spokane, WA 99204
(orthopedic care, age 0-18)
No. of Doctors / Nurses on Staff: 10 / 45
711 S. CowleyValley Hospital
No. of Doctors / Nurses on Staff: 11 / 70, plus 175 doctors with privileges and 219 therapists on staff
12606 E. Mission
Spokane Valley, WA 99216
Volunteer Programs: Stephanie Wells, (509) 473-5639
No. of Doctors / Nurses on Staff: 654 / 257
(Source: Journal of Business 2015 Book of Lists)
- Unintentional injury hospitalization rates remained stable in Spokane County from 2009 to 2013. The 2013 Spokane County rate of 872 per 100,000 population was significantly higher than the rate for Washington state (730 per 100,000). Unintentional injury rates increased as age increased. Hospitalization due to an injury from a fall also remained stable from 2009 to 2013. The 2013 Spokane County rate of 394 per 100,000 population was significantly higher than the rate for Washington state (318 per 100,000). The likelihood of a fall injury increased as age increased and was higher among females. (Spokane Counts 2015 report, Spokane Regional Health District)
- Visit friends and family to
extend support and caring. Keep visits brief, and stay positive,
focusing on abilities, not disabilities. Always knock on a patientís
door, whether the door is open or closed.
- Volunteer to help in a hospital, in a variety of ways.
- Greet visitors in the lobby, answer questions, and give directions.
- Help in the gift shop or snack bar.
- Deliver flowers and mail to patients.
- Use your language skills to interpret for patients who cannot speak English.
- Visit children, read stories, and teach arts and crafts.
- Help with religious services and visit patients.
- Youth can also be junior volunteers at a hospital.