- Lock your vehicles when unattended, and especially at night. Keep your garage door closed. (Spokane Valley Police Dept.)
- Avoid car theft by leaving your valuables at home,
or locking them in the trunk. Hundreds of cars are stolen in Spokane
each year. In fact, in 2011 Spokane was rated the #4 city in the
nation for auto theft.
- Do not leave keys in the car, or hide extra keys in it.
- If you canít park in a garage,
consider getting an anti-theft device such as The Club to lock the
steering wheelómost thieves are going to move on to the next car,
because itís too much of a hassle.
- Neighborhood E-lert System allows the Spokane Police Department to send specific emails to specific neighborhoods, to let residents know what crimes are occurring in your specific neighborhood. (KHQ-News, Sept. 7, 2013)
The best crime prevention is awareness. If we can make citizens aware, that is another tool to help the SPD fight crime. (Monique Cotton, SPD Communications Director)
Sign up to receive the Spokane Police Department's newsletter, press releases and crime trends in your neighborhood (as described above). Go to http://www.SpokanePolice.org, and click on Sign up for Elert.